Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Flax-Seed Gel

Quick Recipe to make your own gel.
Extremely cheap, quick and fun to do. You can have a different scent every week too!

-2 tablespoons of whole Flax seed
-1 cup water

Bring the whole thing to a boil, then let it simmer at a low heat for about 10 more minutes. Until a gel-like substance has formed.
Now, this won't exactly be a Jell-O consistency, more liquid/gel.

But once you've got over your natural aversion to spread that weirdness into your hair, all will be fine. I suggest adding a few drops (2-5) of essential oils to the mix.

Keeps about one week refrigerated in a small glass bottle.

****An important note about essential oils:****
They can be very Toxic to animals. So there is no putting it IN or ON them.
I keep mine carefully closed, but even though I leave the bottles on the counter, I found that my cats aren't particularly attracted to the strong aromas.

Also, E.O. are VERY strong and should be used with caution. Never straight from the bottle, they almost always need to be mixed with a carrier oil or substance.

My three personal favorites are Lavender, Tea Tree and Rosemary. The first two are pretty mild, so less dangerous.
I put Lavender in practically every hair stuff I make.
Rosemary is believed to give shine to the hair and help it grow faster.
Tea Tree is excellent for dandruff, so when I need it, I add a few drops in my Shampoo/Condi mixture.

No comments: