Monday, September 18, 2006

Introverts VS Extroverts


I always suspected that I was some kind of Introvert person. It would explain a lot of stuff. I just didn't know exactly what in Introvert and an Extrovert was. And then I found this:

"Do you know someone who needs hours alone everyday?
Well then you probably have an introvert on your hands. Introverts are hugely misunderstood.
Extroverts are highly energized by people and wilt or fade when alone. They often seem bored by themselves; leave an extrovert alone for two minutes and they’ll be reaching for their cell phone. Introverts on the other hand, after being socially “on” for a few hours need time to recharge by being alone.

Introverts are usually seen as shy, this is not true. Shyness means being anxious or frightened or disapprove of one’s self. This is rarely the case with introverts. Introverts are often seen as arrogant, this is usually because of our lack of small talk, which to extroverts means; I don’t like you. Introverts make up approximately 25% of the population. However, Introverts are a minority in the general population, but a majority in the gifted population.

Extroverts tend to think by talking, whereas introverts think before they talk. The original meanings of the words invented by Carl Jung in the late 20’s are;

Extrovert – finds meaning outside themselves.
Introvert – finds meaning within themselves.

Extroverts are highly unlikely to understand introverts. All you have to do is look at the words used to describe introverts; guarded, loner, reserved, self-contained, private and narrow. These are all ungenerous words that suggest a narrow personality.
For introverts, to be alone with our thoughts is as restorative as sleeping and as nourishing as eating.

So what to do with an introvert? First recognize that it’s not a choice, it’s not a lifestyle, and it’s an orientation. Second, when you see an introvert in deep thought, don’t ask them what’s wrong? Or, are you alright? Third don’t say anything else either. "


So, my introvert friends.....Isn't that illuminating? And here I thought I was asocial and not totally normal because I needed alone time so much. It just feels great that I now have a name to put on it.
Most of it is so very true. Especially the part about needing alone time like other people need sleeping and eating. And even more after being "socially ON" for a few hours. It also explains a very weird phenomenon that I've been noticing lately....You'd think that 8 hours of sleep at night would make me ready to being social in the morning....but sometimes I'm really not in the mood the meet people at all, even less talk, and I wish I could be alone a bit longer. And *that* happens mostly when I've been dreaming a lot. Isn't it strange? My brain considers dream-socializing just as draining as the real thing....

No comments: