Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Amazing Scones

Just a few months ago, I had no idea what Scones were. Then I read a Kate Winslet interview where she talked about them and I got curious. Now the typically British tea-companion cake seems to turn up everywhere.
So I found a recipe for Classic Scones and finally tried it yesterday. They turned out great! Even though I made a few changes and was very unsure about the results.

Classic Scones (à la Lily)

2 1/2 C. flour (needed more! Only had pastry flour left in the end...or was it self-rise??)
1/3 C. sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 C. diced cold butter
1/2 C. milk
1/2 C. 35% cream (didn't have any, used vanilla yogourt instead)
1 egg yolk

1-In a big bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

2-Add butter cubes and work in with two knifes (hate to do that, wish there was an easier way.)

3-In another bowl, mix the milk, cream and egg yolk.

4-Blend with the dry ingredients.

5-Knead the paste a few times (this is where I had to add a lot more flour, it was sticky as hell.)

6-Roll it out on a floured work space (about 1/2 in. tick) and cut into wedges.
(Or make kiwi-sized balls.)

7-Place on a baking sheet, with a bit of space between each scone.

8- Bake at 400F for about 12 minutes.


The great thing is that they are so quick to bake.
I don't know if the self-rising flour made them more fluffy then they should have been, I'll see that next time, but like that, they were perfect.
The yogourt makes them less caloric wich is always a good thing.

Maybe I'll try adding almonds, raisins...or a don't know lemon peels or cherries next time. But these, I ate them plain with yogourt and it was divine.

Also, be careful, you'll be tempted to eat them all five minutes after they come out. They are THAT good. You've been warned.

No comments: